- The Rathmines Catalina Memorial Park Association (RCMPA) wish to announce that we have negotiated a new home for our Catalina under restoration, affectionately known as ‘Our Girl’.
- Negotiations to gain approval to site and house ‘Our Girl’ at Rathmines were not progressing at a pace, or direction that would meet RCMPA’s timeframe to complete the restoration and provide a suitable facility in which to display her.
- As a result, we intend to relocate ‘Our Girl’ from Kilaben Bay to the RAAF Williamtown Aviation Heritage Centre, where she will form part of the display. We wish to thank Air Force for their support in providing this outcome.
- The relocation will not happen for some time. There is a pre-existing unrelated project underway to upgrade the RAAF Williamtown Aviation Heritage Centre. Therefore, the ‘Our Girl’ move is planned to occur once the upgrading of existing facilities at the Williamtown centre are completed.
- The support of RCMPA members and the wider community for ‘Our Girl’ and associated memorabilia to be located in the Newcastle area is evident. There is a real desire for recognition of the significance of RAAF Base Rathmines and the debt owed to the personnel who served there throughout WW2.
- We are pleased that as a result of this agreement with Air Force, ‘Our Girl’ will remain in Newcastle. We consider this to be a wonderful outcome for the Association and the dedicated volunteers completing the restoration.
- The Association wishes to thank Mayor Fraser for her support and LMCC for their involvement in the project.
- RCMPA wish to sincerely thank its members, benefactors and the large number of supporters in the wider community for their ongoing support for this endeavour. Together we look forward to a bright and exciting future.